The purpose of this policy is to make a contribution towards the conservation of our natural resources and the protection of our environment. In that effort, we recognize the need for the library to become environmentally active and to structure its operation to incorporate the following, to the extent fiscally prudent:
- Purchase products made from recycled materials as available and cost effective.
- Explore the possibility of returnable/reusable containers with vendors; purchase as appropriate.
- Explore and implement energy conservation measures.
- Recycle discarded office paper, newspapers, periodicals, and telephone books.
- Recycle or properly dispose of oil, paints, solvents, etc.
- Discontinue the use of products with propellants harmful to the environment.
- Use biodegradable products wherever possible.
- Discontinue the use of Styrofoam products.
- Cooperate with environmental organizations and governmental agencies on displays, bookmarks, programs, etc. on environmental issues
- Ensure that the collection has current information on environmental topics.
From the Three Rivers Public Library Policy Manual